Hello world! I’ve been feeling great for the past few days because guess what… tickets to America have officially been booked for the end of this month! :O Best feeling ever to know that 2014 will start with a big adventure. Especially after watching The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I feel even more compelled to travel more and seek out for new experiences. And well, the world’s a pretty big place, it’d be a damn shame not to try and visit every corner of it right? Despite the whole naive,whimsical tones of the movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it very much with its stellar scenery shots paired with some epic soundtrack. You’ve all got to watch it!
Today though, I’ve got another no churn ice cream. This was the product of leftover ingredients from some of the cakes I’ve made earlier in the month. And mannnn I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t proud of myself of thinking of something spontaneously exciting yet easy to make with said ingredients. Homemade passionfruit curd/creme (yes, the luscious, rich Pierre Herme ones- swoooon), cream cheese, condensed milk and drumroll for the secret ingredient….. dun dun dun —> evaporated milk! Yaaaaahhh, the other time I made the pandan coconut ice cream with thickened cream, although insanely good, it was very, very rich and left an unpleasant oiliness on the lips after consumption. Especially with the lovely summer flavours and the rich cream cheese already in the mix, I wanted to keep it light and refreshing, thus experimented with evaporated milk. And boooyah it worked! Wonderfully too mmmmm. Just remember to refrigerate the can overnight and chill in the freezer 30 mins before use just till the edges start to get a little icy. And it really, really does whip up like cream! Cool stuff eh?
And after a very smart suggestion from my mum to clean up my old stuff in the study room to make room for my props, I finally got around to it yesterday. Here’s the result! I love how everything is not so put together I can grab things from the same place instead of having to run around the house looking for a spoon here and a tea towel there. Ya know what I’m sayin’!
Passionfruit Cheesecake Ice Cream
Makes about 1.5L ice cream
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 300ml evaporated milk, chilled overnight and frozen 30 minutes before starting, then whipped to soft peaks
- 1/2 cup condensed milk, or more to taste
- 3/4 cup smooth passionfruit curd (if you wanna make it yourself, I very highly recommend Pierre Herme’s or Laduree’s recipe)
- crushed biscuits, pistachios
- figs, to serve
1. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Pour whipped evaporated milk into cream cheese and mix on low speed until well combined. Add in condensed milk, mix well, add passionfruit curd, mix well.
2. In a container, or loaf pan, pour 1/4 of the mixture. Top with biscuits and nuts. Repeat until all the mixture is used up. Top with remaining biscuits and pistachios and using a skewer, swirl the mixture so that the toppings are evenly distributed.
3. Freeze overnight. Leave on counter for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with figs if desired.
Figs are such delicate, beautiful fruits aren’t they! They go really well with the pistachios and tropical creamy goodness. All up, prep time is probably under 30 mins so you’ll have no excuse to not make these! Simply the best for summer mmmm. I’ll see you all again on here very soon! And if you feel like being a kind soul, why not leave some lovely suggestions for where to eat/shop/enjoy the view around NY or LA. I’d love you for that! x