June’s here already and I feel winter slowly creeping around the corner. The weather’s been super cold these past few days, and very wet, making it very difficult to motivate oneself to do anything other than snuggle under a blanket and indulge in our favourite tv shows. Luckily, baking on a rainy day is included in my list of favourite past times for me, nothing too complex though and seeing the ricotta in the fridge, I knew I had to try them in muffins. Exclusively Food’s berry, white chocolate muffins were one of my first successes in the kitchen so they’re very special indeed. I decided to use their recipe as a base and replace most of the oil with ricotta and I didn’t have a white chocolate block so used some white choc chips instead. The result? Unfortunately not as indulgent as the original recipe, so I’m going to write down the recipe I would use next time if I were to attempt another ricotta muffin. Plus, using chopped chocolate is a must I think- to have big chunks of just smooth, creamy chocolate instead of little teasers of choc chips!
And I’ve been going overboard with my prop hunting, my mum is starting to get annoyed at how many things I bring home, for once I agree with her that our cupboards simply have no more room for more family members. Every time I have the time, I just spend them letting my mind drift off and imagine about my own kitchen in the future, well lit, big workspaces and definitely a lot, I mean a looot of space to satisfy my ever increasing prop hoarding tendencies. Haha.
Also just a heads up that exams are coming up in less than 2 weeks (my first set of uni exams ahhh!) so I may not be able to post much at all but July I’ll have a whole month of holiday to make up for it and I’ve planned a whole lot of desserts to make so I’m sure you’ll all forgive me when the time comesI may also be going to Melbourne and Singapore during the winter holidays so I am super keen to just ace the exams and get to the playing part already.
Raspberry, White Chocolate, Ricotta Muffins
Makes 15 muffins
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 cup ricotta
1 large egg
2 cups self-raising flour
2/3 cup caster sugar
150g white chocolate, chopped into small chunks
1/3 cup shredded or desiccated coconut (optional)
2 tablespoons raw sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Line 12 holes of a muffin pan (1/3 cup capacity holes) with patty/muffin cases.
2. Whisk lemon juice, milk, oil, ricotta and egg in a medium bowl until well combined.
3. Combine self-raising flour, caster sugar, white chocolate and coconut in a large bowl. Gently stir in berries to coat
4. Gently stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. (Do NOT overmix) Divide mixture between the lined muffin holes. Sprinkle raw sugar evenly over the tops of uncooked muffins.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown on the top and a skewer inserted comes clean. Serve warm.
Happy baking and have a lovely start to yet another weekx