I'd like to think these are pretty healthy as they don't require any butter or oil so it's always good to have a couple in the cookie jar handy. You never know when you feel like a good satisfying biscotti to dunk into your coffee right? The best thing about these cookies are how long they are able to last. If stored in an airtight container, it can last for about 2-3 weeks, but you most probably won't need all that time anyway to finish off these moreish goodies.
Pistachio and Cranberry Biscotti
- Makes about 35
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or more if you want)
- 1 cup pistachio nuts (or more if you want)
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place sugar, eggs, extract and grated lemon rind in a large bowl. Beat with electric beaters until pale and thick.
- Divide equally into two separate bowls and add the cocoa powder to one of them.
- Fold in half of the sifted flour, baking powder, salt, cranberries and nuts into one of the egg/sugar mixture, then use your hands to lightly knead dough on a floured work surface until the dough is smooth. Repeat with the chocolate egg/sugar mixture
- Divide each dough in half- which means you now have 2 white and 2 chocolate dough. Form long logs about 25cm long x 2.5cm wide. Place the white dough next to the chocolate one on the prepared baking tray and push lightly (using wet fingertips to make handling the sticky dough easier) from the sides to make sure the white and chocolate dough are blended in the middle. Repeat with the remaining two logs, leaving space between them.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the dough is firm to the touch and slightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely (about an hour).
- Preheat the oven to 140°C.
- Once dough is cool, use a small serrated knife to cut each log on the diagonal in 0.5cm slices.
- Lay slices flat on the baking tray and return to oven for 15-20 minutes, turning once, until completely dried out. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Serve with coffee or tea, or even cordial like me :)