It's been raining non-stop these past few days, and it's not good for my mood. No really, it's not! Mornings with no sun feel like it's already the end of the day, that's it - rain = lazy me. But lazy me still doesn't get too lazy to crave some homemade stuff so after much contemplating, I thought here we go, maybe some freshly baked orange poppyseed muffins might brighten the day up- well at least it brightened my tummy up for quite a bit! Enjoy!
Orange Poppyseed Muffins
Recipe adapted from here
- 1 tbs poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 125g butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 tsp finely shredded orange rind
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Line 12 1/3 cup capacity muffin holes with non-stick muffin liners. Combine the poppy seeds and 1/4 cup of the milk in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Combine the flour and the sugar in large bowl. Add the poppy-seed mixture along with remaining milk, butter, egg, orange rind and juice, and stir with a metal spoon until just combined (do not overmix).
3. Spoon the batter among prepared muffin pans. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Remove from oven and turn onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature dusted with icing sugar.